Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday...June flowers

"How did it get so late so soon?
Its night before its afternoon.
December is here before its June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?"
-Dr. Seuss

It's Outdoor Wednesday and I haven't participated in a while. Susan has some lovely photos of her lantana today....visit with her and her other participants. There are lots of great gardens to see.
We had an absolutely wonderful spring...just the right amount of rain and nice and cool days. Our gardens loved it, but I knew hot and dry was right behind all that wonderfullness and sure enough here it is! It's still beautiful though so I will not complain.

The first photo is an orangey-pink coneflower called 'Big Sky Sundown'. Our local nurseries don't carry coneflowers so I had to order these. I wonder if they will come back true from seed if I save it.


I love the way they start out pink and end up such a soft beautiful shade of orangey pink.



These are called Merlot...I ordered these also.

I raised these from seed last year...they are a native coneflower and get very tall.

Yarrow...

A native plant called Gloriosa Daisy...I raised these from seed and planted them a few years ago.
I thought all of them had died but this one came up by itself right on the edge of the bed. They must like dry soil. I will be trying these again next year.